The School of Engineering’s Event Planning Office was formed in 2006 to improve the event planning process and increase event quality and productivity by assisting with or reallocating event planning duties from departments needing assistance from a dedicated event planning team. The Events Team is committed to providing event planning services for the George R. Brown School of Engineering, including the Dean’s Office, departments, centers and institutes within the Dean’s jurisdiction. Events include conferences, workshops, symposia, lectures, site visits, meetings, receptions and other special events.
As part of the Dean of Engineering’s Office, the events office reserves priority to Dean sponsored events. Availability varies on previously scheduled events.
The events team works closely with the Office of the Dean of Engineering, as well as various departments, centers and institutes, in collecting detailed information in order to assist with planning, coordinating and implementing medium sized to larger and more complex events.
Key elements of our work include:
- Consultation specific to your event needs
- Key logistics planning primarily during the pre-event stage
- Organizing event information to provide a project plan and cost estimate
- Negotiating purchases with reputable, proven vendors
- Coordinating logistics and providing hands on assistance during your event depending on need and our availability
- Providing information for your Post-Event Report and Travel, Entertainment, Business Meeting Envelope
Other services we may be able to assist you with include:
- Establishing project budget, making budget projections and keeping detailed accounting records
- Reserving event space at Rice University, local facilities off campus, as well as arrangements at other locations outside Houston
- Assisting with arrangements in the following areas:
-Catering (Food and Beverage)
-Facilities and Engineering services
-Photography and videography coverage
-Safety, security and first aid
-Speakers and participants
-Posting event on University and Departmental calendars
-Media and press
-Shipping and receiving
-Accessibility and special needs
-Other arrangements as necessary